Monday, October 22, 2012

Chapter 5: Personal Reflections, Comments, and AH HA Moments


At least they did not 'shush' me.
“However, you are also learning that educational psychology is interesting or dull, useful or useless. Without knowing it, you are probably learning about where on the page certain pieces of information are to be found. You might be learning to associate the content of this chapter with unimportant aspects of your surroundings as you read it, such as the smell of books in a library or the temperature of the room in which you are reading. ” Slavin page 116.

After I finished reading the above I let out a louder than appreciated laugh in the Sherrill Library. The students around me may have thought I was a bit “off my rocker” as they may have been able to tell that I was reading Educational Psychology. I sighed and simply had to shake my head though because the quote above was true. Learning can take place in many forms and can happen without paying it too much attention. Freshly back in academia I am struggling to try and get all my reading done and to adequately remember the myriad definitions that I am confronted with in not one or two text books, but five. Some concepts are interwoven amongst the differing texts, but most feel fresh and have taken quite a bit of work to wrap my arms around. I am getting there but my learning has been a slow process, and somewhat unconsciously I am adapting.

The story of my life?
Facing the struggle between “having to” versus “wanting to” it can be said that life is filled with such battles. The Premack Principle always seems to be in place.
“Eat your veggies and you will get some dessert.”
“Clean your room and you can go the movies.”
“Do your homework and you can play video games.”
“Sell six cellphone plans and you will get an extra personal day.”
The concept of motivating a person – child or adult – to undertake an undesirable task is not a new concept and has probably been around since caveman Grog told his son to throw the mammoth bones outside the cave and then he can paint on the walls. The Premack Principle works and perhaps over time children will see the value of completing those enjoyable tasks beyond the obtaining of a pleasurable activity.

Thanks for showing up – here's your trophy!”
The above is actually the title of a book that I have begin to outline. Will it ever be completed? I hope so. May it sit in the desktop folder of my laptop for periods of time? Certainly. Is the notion that kids are gratuitously over-rewarded for very little actual real activity or performance something I think of often? A resounding “YES!”

I understand that using extrinsic reinforcers can yield some positive results especially as motivational factors, but all too often organizations seem to jump to the ultimate prize and give it to all participants as opposed to really rewarding performance.

My assorted nieces and nephews all participate in various activities at my siblings' behest: sports, musical endeavors, art. In every instance that I can think of, everyone gets a trophy or a big ribbon for having participated. While no one wants to hurt the feelings of a child, the reward should be in-line with the performance.

If I finish reading and commenting on Chapter 5, I can go home and watch the Patriots game.
Throughout my life I have always self-regulated and self-reinforced my behaviors. Even as an adult rewards are necessary. The overbearing sense of needing to do what has to be done forces me to accomplish activities. Every so often though a really difficult, annoying, or exhuasting set of tasks will afford me the thought, “Wow, I worked my behind off and got everything done ahead of schedule! I deserve...a couple of new books or a video game as reward.” I learned early on in my educational and professional worlds that I am responsible for my own actions and the actions that I undertake have affects upon my life and those around me. But why not make those actions a bit easier and reward myself from time to time?

No comments:

Post a Comment