Sunday, October 28, 2012

Once more unto the breach!...or...Our Last Weekend of Class


With the final weekend of class dealing with assessment, I cannot help but think of the term and its application to my return to academia. Did I successfully fulfill the high standards and goals that I set for myself? For now, a certain amount of assessment is purely a proximation and personal reflection of my work.

It has been many years since I have sat in a classroom and the return has been a bit of a challenge. I was unsure of my ability to jump back in and complete work that is comparable to that of my peers, but also, coming into a mostly female dominated profession would I be accepted into the group?

All of my fears have subsided in the past month. A tremendous amount of group work has shown me that my knowledge and perspectives are not completely out of line with other students'. My role in my groups has been solid and people have been very accepting of my suggestions and work. My participation has been of value to others. Assignments such as blogs and papers have been completed and have added to my learning.

It may take me a little longer and a bit more work, but I am happy in my new environment and look forward to each new learning experience. In truth, the final assessment of my work will come in the form of an actual grade. An 'A' may be the ultimate goal, but on a personal level I have proven to myself that yes I belong here and yes I can complete the work and perform well – this being a vital assessment to the beginning of my graduate school learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment