Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chapter 6: Comments, Personal Reflections, and AH HA Moments


On the tip of my tongue...
The Sherrill Library – my home away from home - working on chapter five and making some notes in the margins for my “AH HA” moments. I was almost done reading about short-term memory when an idea for a commentary came to mind. With just a couple sentences to go, I finished the paragraph before jotting down my note. When I finished that portion of reading, any semblance of what I was going to write was completely gone from my short-term memory. Next time I know to make the notes before finishing.

Not just from left-field!
I sometimes wonder if all minds work the way mine does. To elaborate, often is the case that a friend or a family member will mention something and within mili-seconds my mind is thinking of something else entirely. Often, if I need to responding to my friend/family member my response is not even in the realm of what they were looking for. My answers very often require a path of thought - a schemata if you will – to detail how I got from point A to point B. My mind tends to link insignificant or mostly random items together and the links only seem to make sense to me.

Freshly back to school and wondering how I will ever remember everything!
My study habits have varied over the years. On thing that has always helped my studies has been the creation of acronyms or as the text calls them – initial-letter strategies. Coming from an accounting background there were many relatable terms that I could group together to recall at a later date, such as: what account had credit balances, what account had debit balances, and the different line items of financial statements. Thankfully, I have wiped most of that information from my memory instead to focus on education related initial-letter strategies. Of course some acronyms will always stick with me. As my brother was detailing the rainbow cake he was decorating for my niece's birthday he listed off the colors. I had to break the news to him that he forgot one color – indigo. I cited Roy G. Biv (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet). My brother “the perfectionist” was forced to start over.

An open letter to the author...
Dear Dr. Slavin,
I have been enjoying your textbook thus far and have found it very useful in thinking not only og how a child may develop on varying levels, but also how it relates to me. As a returning student after seventeen years away from higher education, I have one question for you. Why sir, did you not put the segment entitled, “What Study Strategies Help Students Learn?” at the beginning of your text??? Seriously, I could have used this information about one hundred and sixty-nine pages ago!

Sincerely,
Jason A. Tavares

PS: I actually use a hybrid of PQ4R in conjunction with underlining. My concern is of course for other students.

PQ4R back to sixth grade!
Way back in the sixth grade I had my all-time favorite teacher standing before my class. Mr. O'Connell was instrumental in my being the reader and writer that I am today. Within the four walls of our classroom he introduced us to writing and studying more so than any teacher I had before and possibly since. While it may be true that I have taken much from the myriad classes that I have attended since sixth grade, Mr. O'Connell's basics have stuck with me the longest. Thank you Mr. O'Connell and thank you long-term memory!

Mr. O'Connell was a firm believer in writing each and every day and was especially an advocate of using our creativity on our writing. He demanded that we always question what we were reading and what we were about to write. Typically, he would launch into an almost word for word transcript of the famous Abbot and Costello bit – Who's on First? Each time we proposed an idea he would make us ask ourselves questions: who is your main character? what is the dilemma that is being faced? Where is the story set? Who is on third? No, I don't know is on third...and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment